Memorial Day 2021
At the Veterans Memorial in
the American Legion Park in
by Pinedale Online!
June 1, 2021
Memorial Day, May 31st, is a solemn day remember, honor, and mourn the men and women who have died while on duty with the US military in service to their country. Memorial Day has been a time to remember fallen service members since after the Civil War. Services were held in Pinedale at the Veteranís Memorial and at the Pinedale cemetery. Flags were lowered to half-staff at midnight, May 31st and raised to full-staff at noon.
Members of the American Legion Post 47, VFW Post 4801, and the American Legion Auxiliary participated in the recognition program.
During the Memorial Day program at the Veterans Memorial in the American Legion Park, Mike Edison, Commander of the American Legion Post 47 said, "Today we honor and remember those who have fallen. Those that have made the ultimate sacrifice so that we may live free."
The following from Pinedale have made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms:
- In WWI, The Great War (1917-18), Clifford Phillips was killed in action by an enemy sniper.
- Sidney Edwards, while in France, was killed in a hospital when an airplane shelled the building.
- WWII (1941-45), S.Sgt. Ralph Wenz was killed in the line of duty when his bomber crashed in the wilds of Alaska.
- S.Sgt. Boyd Skinner was killed in action at the battle of Iwo Jima on March 10, 1945.
- In Vietnam (1964-75), Michael Wilson of Boulder, Wyoming, made the ultimate sacrifice when a booby trap detonated in a battle trying to take another hill.
The Veterans Memorial in the American Legion Park lists the names of people in Sublette County who have served in the U.S. military.