Natural gas explosion at AmeriGas in Jackson
by Jackson Hole Fire EMS – Teton County, Wyoming
November 20, 2014
Wednesday, November 20, 2014, 5:30PM
JACKSON, WYOMING - A natural gas explosion and fire occurred at AmeriGas on Gregory Lane off of High School Road while a propane truck was offloading. All AmeriGas employees as well as all civilians within the involved area were able to escape without major injury. A resultant fire structure spread to adjacent structures and Jackson Hole Fire/EMS and Grand Teton National Park dispatched a total of 12 apparatus and 50 personnel to respond. Also supporting were Jackson Police Department, Teton County Sheriff Office & Dispatch and Teton County Emergency Management.
At this time the fire is 100% contained, responders have conducted searches of all potentially affected structures, and the Evacuation order has been lifted. The Incident Commander reports that all roads are open except for High School Road from Highway 8 to Gregory Lane. Gas is anticipated to be restored to Eagle Village residential units by 7:00 PM.
Smith’s Grocery store is reopened at this time.
All businesses in Smith’s Plaza and Gregory Lane are expected to open as usual tomorrow as well as all Teton County School District Schools.
Editor’s Note: This incident occurred around 12:45PM. Teton County Emergency Management issued an evacuation order for Smiths, Bell Fitness, the Flat Creek Business Center, and Jackson Hole Community School. All students in Colter Elementary School, Jackson Hole High School and Jackson Hole Middle School were in lockdown mode. No injuries were reported.