Pinedale Online!

Pinedale on the Web!
Pinedale, Wyoming

Home | Calendar of Events | Photo Gallery | Local Businesses |

Pinedale Online > News > April 2007 > Ask the Game & Fish
Ask the Game & Fish
Crayfish, Cutt-Slam, Fishing in the Wilderness
April 20, 2007

Here are some commonly asked questions of the Wyoming Game & Fish Department:

Q. Is a license required to catch crawdads (crayfish)?
A. No license is required to take crayfish and there is no closed season. Crayfish, which are crustaceans, are covered in the "Cold-Blooded Wildlife" paragraph in the fishing regulations. They may be taken for personal consumption or used as fish bait in the water where they were caught. If you want to keep them alive, they must be confined to an aquarium.

Q. I've heard the G&F has an award called the "Cutt-Slam." What is it?
A. The Cutt-Slam is a program implemented last year by the G&F to recognize anglers for catching four subspecies of cutthroat trout in their native range in Wyoming. The subspecies are the Bonneville, Colorado River, Yellowstone and Snake River Cutthroat. All that is required is that you catch these fish and submit a photograph to a G&F biologist with the date and location caught. It is not necessary to present the fish, because the G&F is not looking to promote harvest. Once all four subspecies have been recorded, the G&F will provide the angler with a certificate featuring color artwork of all four subspecies. The goal of the program is to encourage anglers to learn more about Wyoming''s cutthroat trout and the associated management programs needed to maintain the fisheries. Anglers can contact G&F offices for more information on the program and for a list of waters where the fish can be found.

Q. Are there special regulations for fishing wilderness areas?
A. Regulations for fishing wilderness areas are basically the same as the general regulations for most Wyoming waters. If there is an exception to the general statewide regulations, that water will be listed in the Wyoming Fishing Regulations. Keep in mind that motorized craft are not allowed in wilderness areas. Both resident and nonresident anglers may access wilderness areas; however, it is a good idea to check with local forest service officials to keep current on fire restrictions, camping rules and trail conditions.

Q. Where can I find a listing of Wyoming''s record fish?
A. The records were listed in the March/April issue of the Wyoming Wildlife News. The records are also listed on the back of the Wyoming Fishing Guide, but some of those records are outdated. For an up-to-date listing, call the G&F at (800) 842-1934 or (307) 777-4600.

Related Links
  • Wyoming Game & Fish Department
  • Cutt Slam
  • Pinedale Online > News > April 2007 > Ask the Game & Fish

    Pinedale Online!
    Pinedale Online! PO Box 2250, Pinedale, WY 82941
    Phone: (307) 360-7689 or (307) 276-5699, Fax: (307) 276-5414

    Office Outlet in Pinedale, 43 S. Sublette

    Copyright © 2007 Pinedale Online. All rights reserved.
    Pictures and content cannot be used in whole or part without permission.