Pinedale Online!

Visitor's Guide to Pinedale, Wyoming

Home | Calendar of Events | Photo Gallery | Local Businesses |

Pinedale Online > News > December 2005 > Preference Point System for Non-Residents
Preference Point System for Non-Resident Hunters
Elk, Deer and Antelope hunters
December 4, 2005

(Cheyenne) The Wyoming Game & Fish Department (G&F) is reminding nonresident hunters that is especially important in 2006 for hunters to get in on the ground floor of a preference point system for Wyoming elk, deer and antelope licenses.

When application periods kick off January 1, nonresident hunters will have the option of purchasing a preference point when applying for an elk, deer or antelope license. Starting in 2007, 75% of the nonresident quota - for both the regular and special drawings -- will be issued to hunters with the most preference points. The remaining 25% of the quota will be issued in a random drawing from all applicants unsuccessful in the preference point drawing.

There will be no preference point drawing for reduced priced (doe/fawn and cow/calf) licenses. Reduced priced licenses will continue to only be issued by a random drawing. Likewise, the leftover drawing will continue to be exclusively a random drawing. A hunter will retain his or her preference points if drawn in the leftover drawing.

Preference points will cost adult nonresident elk hunters $50, deer hunters $40 and antelope hunters $30. Nonresident youth will only pay $10 per point for all species. Applicants can either pay for their point in addition to the license fee and be entered in the drawing or purchase only the point to build up better odds for future drawings.

If you want to improve your chances of drawing hard-to-draw areas you will want to start accruing preference points in 2006 so you do not get behind on your points. Many hunters, particularly deer and antelope hunters in eastern Wyoming, will probably opt not to purchase a preference point because their areas are traditionally a sure draw.

Nonresident moose and bighorn sheep hunters are alerted the Game and Fish Commission increased the price of their preference points. A moose preference point now costs $75 and a bighorn sheep preference point $100.

The new nonresident preference point system is explained in the 2006 Nonresident Big Game Application Booklet. The booklets are being mailed to nonresidents who have applied for a big game license in the last two years. All other hunters interested in receiving a booklet should contact the Game and Fish at (307) 777-4600 or

Nonresident application periods begin Jan. 1 and close Jan. 31 for elk, Feb. 28 for moose and bighorn sheep and March 15 for deer and antelope.

Resident hunters will be able to pick up application booklets at license agents and Game and Fish offices beginning in January.

Important Hunting Dates:
Dec. 19 2006 fishing and game bird, small game and mountain lion hunting licenses available at license agents across the state.
Jan. 1-31 Nonresident elk application period.
Jan. 1-Feb. 28 Resident and nonresident moose, bighorn sheep and mountain goat application period.
Jan. 1-March 15 Nonresident deer and antelope application period.

Pinedale Online > News > December 2005 > Preference Point System for Non-Residents

Pinedale Online!
Pinedale Online! PO Box 2250, Pinedale, WY 82941
Phone: (307) 367-6399 Fax: (307) 367-2864

Office Outlet in Pinedale, 43 S. Sublette

Copyright © 2005 Pinedale Online. All rights reserved.
Pictures and content can not be used in whole or part without permission.