Dig It!: Instant No-dig Garden Beds
by Sage & Snow Garden Club
July 1, 2008
We are all very busy this time of year so why not consider these seven no-dig ways to make new garden beds.
1. Lay down cardboard, mulch, set out transplants.
2. Plant directly into bags of topsoil.
3. Make frame with straw bales and fill.
4. Use wood frames and fill with compost or topsoil.
5. Build a "bird nest" from brush and fill.
6. Make "lasagna" — layers of leaves, peat moss and compost.
7. Build compost pile, add soil and plant.
For details on the seven bed options, read the article entitled "How to Make Instant, No-dig Garden Beds," from the June/July 2008 Mother Earth News or go to http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/2008-06-01/No-Dig-Garden-Beds.aspx or contact the Sage and Snow Garden Club.
The Garden Club usually meets at noon on the second Tuesday of each month in the Pinedale Library, however we are taking the summer off to tend to our gardens. The next meeting will be in September. In the meantime, you can contact us at Box 2280, Pinedale, WY, 82941 or by email at email@example.com or call 307-859-8606. On the web: http://www.pinedaleonline.com/clubs/sageandsnowgardenclub.htm