3 injured, 1 killed after flash fire at natural gas well site in SW Wyoming
by Pinedale Online!
September 24, 2014
Information is still emerging on an accident that occurred Tuesday (Sept. 23) at an EOG natural gas facility south of LaBarge, Wyoming. Initially reported as an explosion, reports today describe the incident as a flash fire. Workers were cleaning a storage tank at a well site approximately two miles from the EOG Shute Creek Plant when a flash fire ignited.
Four people were injured from the flash fire. Three victims with serious burns were transported to a burn facility in Salt Lake City, Utah. One of three victims has reportedly died from his injuries. A fourth person with less serious injuries was treated at local facility and released on Tuesday. According to the Casper Star-Tribune, an EOG spokesperson identified two of the victims as EOG employees and two as contractors.
A truck was also reportedly destroyed by the fire.
According to the Kemmerer Gazette, the University of Utah Hospital has confirmed the identity of the man who was killed as Jared Loftiss of Marbleton, Wyoming. The two other victims that are being treated in the Burn Center have not been identified as per the request of the patients' families.
Sublette County sent ambulances, fire trucks and emergency management personnel to assist in response to the initial report. The ambulances were later turned around as not needed. Two fire units and the Sublette County Emergency Management Coordinator responded to the incident site, but were later released by Lincoln County officials who had the fire and situation under control.
See the links below for more stories on this accident.