Wolf group cashing in on wolves
The Center for Biological Diversity sent out this email alert seeking money to continue the legal battle over wolves.
by Cat Urbigkit, Pinedale Online!
October 6, 2010
The Center for Biological Diversity is using the ongoing controversy over wolves to raise money to continue the battle. The group recently sent out an email alert with the subject line stating "Emergency support needed to stop wolf shooting, gassing."
The CBD alert opened with "The backlash against wolves
is growing to a fevered, killing pitch. I've never seen it worse."
CBD tells its supports that it needs emergency donations
today, with the goal to have $60,000 by Nov. 15.
Here's the complete text of the email:
"The backlash against wolves is growing to a fevered, killing pitch. I've never seen it worse.
The Center for Biological Diversity is fighting right now o stop the killing, but we need your help. Please make an emergency donation today to our Wolf Legal Defense Fund.
• In the Rocky Mountains, Idaho is threatening to cease its wolf-management program, giving individuals free rein to kill wolves as they please. Wildlife Services, a federal agency, has proposed killing hundreds of Idaho wolves with rifles from helicopters and by gassing wolf pups in their dens.
• In the Great Lakes, the Interior Department is preparing to strip federal protection of wolves yet again, allowing state agencies to kill wolves as well.
• In the Southwest, ranchers have filed suit to condemn two of the last remaining New Mexico wolf packs to death.
The fight to save these three wolf populations will cost $60,000, and to succeed we need to raise the money by November 15. We can't wait to act while wolves are dying and politicians fan the flames of hatred higher each day. Will you make an emergency donation to protect wolves today?
Here's what we'll do with your contribution to our Wolf Legal Defense Fund:
• Stop Wildlife Services from killing and gassing wolves;
• Legally intervene on the wolf's behalf in the Southwest so two of New Mexico's last packs are not condemned to die;
• Derail the Interior Department's plan to allow Wisconsin and Michigan to kill wolves for trumped-up "conservation purposes;"
• Rally tens of thousands of supporters to stop bills moving through Congress right now that would permanently strip wolves of federal protection.
Thank you in advance for supporting our work at this pivotal moment.
For the wolves,
Center for Biological Diversity
P.S. Wolf-hating members of Congress have introduced not one, but four bills to permanently ban federal protection of wolves so they can be shot, poisoned and run over at will. We have to mobilize right away to kill these bills before they can kill wolves. Please donate generously today to our Wolf Legal Defense Fund."