Economy creates high call volume at Wyoming UI claims center
by Wyoming Department Of Employment
November 24, 2009
The Wyoming Department of Employment, Unemployment Insurance Division, is feeling the effects of the national economic recession with an unprecedented number of calls and subsequent longer wait times.
Increased inquiries regarding both regular unemployment and extended unemployment programs are causing an average minimum wait time of 25 to 35 minutes to speak with a representative. On some days, claimants may unfortunately receive busy signals because the phone lines are at full capacity. Claimants should continue to try back until they are able to access the phone system.
"Many claimants find themselves in a very real and difficult situation of being without a job in tough economic times," said Unemployment Insurance Administrator Randy Hopper. "The challenge for us is that as the economy slows down, more people are out of work and need our assistance. We are committed to assisting each claimant who needs our help in a reasonable time-frame."
Wyoming’s Department of Employment Web site, http://doe.wyo.gov, can be a good tool for filing claims and answering many questions without having to pick up the phone. If you do need to contact the Unemployment Division by phone, the following tips may help you with your claim or questions:
As always, the fastest way for us to determine your eligibility is to use the online filing system. You may file your initial claim application for unemployment benefits online at http://wyui.doe.state.wy.us
The fastest and easiest way to file your continuing weekly claim for unemployment benefits is either online at http://wyuicc.wyoming.gov or in the automated telephone system (307) 235-3789.
The automated phone system is down for maintenance during the following times:
Sundays and Tuesdays from 4:00 to 6:00 a.m. MST
Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m., MST
Filing for unemployment can be a confusing process. The answer to your questions may already be available in the Topics for Unemployment, Frequently Asked Questions located at http://doe.wyo.gov
After applying for benefits, an informational booklet with everything you need to know about unemployment benefits will be mailed to you. You may also view that booklet online at http://doe.wyo.gov
If you have already filed for benefits, information about your individual claim is available by calling (307) 473-3789. By using your personal identification number (PIN), you can obtain details about your claim status, payment dates and amounts.
Still need to talk to someone? Remember these tips when calling to speak with a representative:
• Wait times are averaging a minimum between 25 and 35 minutes to speak with a contact center representative. We ask for you to be patient; please understand we are doing our best to assist all callers as quickly and efficiently as possible.
• Wait times are typically shorter on Wednesdays and Thursdays, but with the magnitude of calls coming into the claims center we are experiencing long wait times every day of the week.
• Wait times are typically at their highest on Monday mornings and Friday afternoons.
• Regrettably you may be disconnected because of high call volume. Please continue trying or call back at a different time or different day.
• Try to call in first thing in the morning at 8:00 a.m. when the claims center opens. You’ll have a better chance of getting through.
• We can only discuss your unemployment claim with you. Please do not have a family member or friend call with questions about your claim, as we cannot give them any information.
If you have already been approved to receive unemployment benefits and you have questions specifically regarding your Unemployment Benefits Debit Card as a result of filing over the internet, please visit or contact US Bank ReliaCard’s toll-free Customer Service number at 1-866-276-5114.