Misc. News & Notes
by Dawn Ballou, Pinedale Online!
July 8, 2009
- Union Pass Road is open across the top over to Dubois. The road is a bit rough, so take it slow. If it rains, expect it to be slick in places. Sedans can make it.
- Trails End Campground is open, at the end of Skyline Drive at Elkhart Park. This is a paved road the whole way up.
- Scab Creek Campground is open.
- The upper loop of Green River Lakes campground is open. The lower loop is still closed. The road going in is a bit rough. Some campsites can be reserved, but that must be done at least 10 days in advance. After that it is first come, first served at campsites.
- The McDougal Gap road over to the Greys River is now open. It was bladed over the 4th of July weekend by the Greys River Ranger District.
- The road into Big Sandy Opening is open, but rough. It was described as "drive it if you donít mind losing the fillings out of your teeth from the rattling." Sedans can make it, just take it slow. Big Sandy Lodge is open with cabin rentals and restaurant. Advance reservations appreciated. Jackass Pass over into the Cirque of the Towers still has snow.
- Fremont Lake water level is still high. The usual sandy beaches along the shoreline are still submerged.
- There have been confirmed grizzly bear sightings in the Wyoming Range this spring.
- Stream water levels have receded back to within their banks. Stream waters are still muddy for fishing.
- The towns of Pinedale, Marbleton and Big Piney, and the county, have all sprayed for mosquitoes, so they arenít too bothersome in the towns and outlying areas. Non-sprayed areas can be bad for mosquitoes due to all the moisture weíve had this year.
- Fire danger is still rated LOW.
- Fireworks are prohibited everywhere in Sublette County all year round.