Davis posts fastest time for Pinedale Stage Stop; Leads Overall
Pinedale's 2009 Junior Musher is ten-year old Pinedale Middle School 5th grader Olivia Pape. Here, she gets a ride on the sled driven by 14-year old Emily Wade of LaBarge. Their sled was the first one to go and begin the Pinedale Stage of the IPSSSDR.
Dave DeCaro (19), from Denali Park, Alaska, is 25-years old. This is his first year racing in the IPSSSDR. He has been running dogs since 2004.
A big crowd waited along the race course starting line in Pinedale. There was high enthusiasm and everyone enjoying watching the dogs and listening to the lively music while they waited for the race to begin. "Dogs Rule" banners were attached to the rope marking the race course.
IPSSSDR Day 3
by International Pedigree Stage Stop Sled Dog Race
February 3, 2009
(Pinedale) —February 2, 2009—Wendy Davis from Lander, Wyo., posted the fastest time during Day Three of the IPSSSDR with 2:55:19. Sean Hard from Olney, Mont., came in second with 3:03:15. In third, Melanie Shirilla of Lincoln, Mont., had a time of 3:04:13.
Davis leads the race overall with a time of 5:53:23. Shirilla is second in the overall with a time of 6:02:51; Megan Routely of British Columbia, Canada, is third with a time of 6:12:38.
On Tuesday, February 3, teams will race a 64-mile stage in Big Piney/Marbleton before continuing to Alpine, Kemmerer/Diamondville, Evanston, Lyman/Mountain View, and finally Park City, Utah, for the final stage and awards ceremony on Saturday, February 7.
With its unique dog-friendly "stage stop" racing format, the IPSSSDR stops in a different community each night, allowing the host towns to show their hospitality. Festivities for mushers and spectators alike include pancake feeds, dog parades, banquets, carnivals, and snowshoe softball.
The Pedigree® brand actively supports a wide range of programs that promote responsible pet ownership and highlight the contributions dogs make to society.
The International Pedigree Stage Stop Sled Dog Race, the largest dog sled race in the lower 48 states, was founded in 1996 by Frank Teasley to make sled dog racing more accessible to the public. For a complete schedule, visit the race Website at www.wyomingstagestop.org, contact the race via e-mail at email@example.com, or telephone at 307.734.1163.
Pinedale Stage: 33 Miles, February 2, 2009
1. Wendy Davis (Bib #4), Elapsed Time: 2:55:19, Average MPH: 11.3
2. Sean Hard (Bib #12), Elapsed Time: 3:03:15, Average MPH: 10.8
3. Melanie Shirilla (Bib #7), Elapsed Time: 3:04:14, Average MPH: 10.7
4. Megan Routley (Bib #15), Elapsed Time: 3:04:45, Average MPH: 10.7
5. Dennis Tremblay (Bib #13), Elapsed Time: 3:06:52, Average MPH: 10.6
6. John Stewart (Bib #8), Elapsed Time: 3:07:54, Average MPH: 10.5
7. Grant Beck (Bib #5), Elapsed Time: 3:09:25, Average MPH: 10.5
8. Sam Perrino (Bib #9), Elapsed Time: 3:09:49, Average MPH: 10.4
9. Debbie Moderow (Bib #17), Elapsed Time: 3:11:15, Average MPH: 10.4
10. Sandy Burke (Bib #11), Elapsed Time: 3:11:37, Average MPH: 10.3
11. Bruce Magnusson (Bib #6), Elapsed Time: 3:11:52, Average MPH: 10.3
12. John Barron (Bib #16), Elapsed Time: 3:12:20, Average MPH: 10.3
13. Jerry Bath (Bib #10), Elapsed Time: 3:14:24, Average MPH: 10.2
14. Jeff King (Bib #18), Elapsed Time: 3:15:30, Average MPH: 10.1
15. Stacey Teasley (Bib #1), Elapsed Time: 3:16:02, Average MPH: 10.1
16. Ken Josefsen (Bib #3), Elapsed Time: 3:22:48, Average MPH: 9.8
17. Jean Wise (Bib #2), Elapsed Time: 3:25:23, Average MPH: 9.6
18. Dave DeCaro (Bib #19), Elapsed Time: 3:37:10, Average MPH: 9.1
19. Krista Halsnes (Bib #14), Elapsed Time: 4:27:05, Average MPH: 7.4