Barrasso accepting Military Academy nomination applications
by U.S. Senator John Barrasso media release
April 9, 2008
(Washington) - U.S. Senator John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) today (Wednesday, April 9, 2008) announced that he is accepting applications for nominations to the U.S. military service academies for the 2009 school year. Senator Barrasso nominates up to ten people each year. Those nominated then compete for admission to the Military, Naval, Air Force, and Merchant Marine academies.
“Nominating some of Wyoming’s best and brightest students to our nation’s military academies is one of the greatest privileges I have as a U.S. Senator,” Barrasso said. “I strongly encourage all those students who are interested to apply.”
Young men and women interested in U.S. service academies apply to members of Congress for nominations. Those nominated are screened by academy officials, and students with the best scholastic and personal credentials are selected for appointment.
The nominations are based on:
• Wyoming resident, 17-22 years of age
• Receipt of application form and all required information
• High school grades through at least the end of junior year
• Results of Scholastic Assessment Test or American College Testing scores
• Evaluation of leadership based on extracurricular activities, offices held, awards etc.
• At least 3 Letters of recommendation (school officials, coaches, community leaders)
Following a nomination, final selection and appointment is made by each service academy based on: character, scholarship, leadership, physical aptitude, medical fitness, goals and motivation, and suitability for a military career.
All required information should be received by the Senator’s office no later than November 30, 2008.
Those who are interested in obtaining a complete application packet, please contact Travis Deti in Senator Barrasso's Cheyenne office at:
2120 Capitol Avenue, Suite 2013
Cheyenne, Wyoming 82001