Proposed Fremont Lake Recreation area changes
Picnic tables and fire grills at Fremont Lake Campground will be replaced to meet ADA handicap access standards. Pinedale Online file photo.
Pinedale Ranger District seeks public comment on changes and improvements
by Dawn Ballou, Pinedale Online!
December 16, 2007
The Pinedale Ranger District of the Bridger-Teton National Forest has sent out a letter notifying the public of a series of recreation development projects and changes they are proposing within the Fremont Lake Recreation Analysis Area. The proposed actions are intended to improve existing facilities and increase the Forest Service’s efficiency of managing the recreation operations for the public, while protecting natural resources in the area. “Increased visitor capacity and use within this analysis area is not an objective,” the letter from Pinedale District Ranger Thomas Peters stated. Public comment will be accepted until January 14, 2008.
Partial list of proposed actions:
- Adding a 70-person group site at Fremont Lake Campground.
- Widen the road within the Fremont Lake Campground to the Upper Fremont Lake Boat Site to accommodate two-way traffic.
- Add a walking/bicycling lane along the main road within Fremont Lake Campground.
- Take out the Swim Area parking lot at Sandy Beach Picnic Area.
- Create a 70-person covered pavilion at the north end of the day-use area near Sandy Beach.
- Move the vault toilet at Sandy Beach Picnic Area over to the lower Picnic Area parking lot.
- Construct a rock breakwater at the Lower Fremont Boat Site, to protect the boat dock and direct boaters away from the Town of Pinedale water intake site in the lake.
- Gravel or pave parking lots.
- Convert the entire Stuart Flat Dispersed Area to a day-use site, prohibiting overnight camping in this area yearlong, and prohibiting snowmobile use within the area yearlong.
- Create non-motorized interpretive trails and a paved accessible bike path from the CCC Ponds to Fremont Lake Dam and Lower Boat Site parking area, including groomed cross-country ski trails.
- Create a canoe/kayak access site above Fremont Lake Dam parking area along Pine Creek.
Click on this link for a printable PDF of the Forest Service letter on this proposal: December 13, 2007 Interested Participant Letter from the Pinedale Ranger District (9 pages, 1873K)