2007 District History Day
Dave Vlcek talk
Pinedale BLM archaeologist, Dave Vlcek, gave a presentation about jobs in the history field during the awards assembly.
by Ann Noble
March 25, 2007
Sublette County schools participated in District History Day in Big Piney on Thursday, March 22, 2007. Schools from Lincoln County also participated.
Students presented a variety of projects on subjects of their own choosing, and centered on this year’s theme, “Triumph and Tragedy in History.” District competition coordinator, Ann Noble of Pinedale, was assisted by Big Piney coach Jonita Sommers in planning the competition. Numerous volunteers from around the county judged the competition. BLM archeologist Dave Vlcek was the guest speaker at the awards ceremony.
Students placing in the top three of their division will now advance to state competition to be held at the University of Wyoming in Laramie on April 23, 2007.
2007 District History Day Winners
Senior Division: (Grades 9 – 12)
1. Karen Allred: “Louis Braille: Helping Others Triumph Over Blindness and Communicate with the World” (Star Valley High School)
2. Logan Lynn Pape: “Looking Through a Different Perspective” (Pape Academy)
3. Bronwyn Challis: “20 Years After the Cokeville School Bombing: The Tragedies and Triumphs” (Star Valley)
1. Meredith Noble: “Mountaineers at War; The 10th Mountain Division During World War II” (Pinedale High School)
1. Kassey Braun: “Wilma Rudolph: The Fastest Woman in the World” (Pinedale High School)
2. Mariah McKay: “Lowell Mill Girls: The First to Fight” (Pinedale High School)
1. Kathryn Konicek and Morgan Holz: “Bohemian Rhapsody” (Pinedale High School)
Junior Division: (Grades 6 – 8)
1. Adair Walker: “Prawn” Prevails” (Pinedale Middle School)
2. Niko Kolis: “Shakleton’s Battle for Life and Fame” (Pinedale Middle School)
3. Michelle Fenn: “Captain James Cook” (Pinedale Middle School)
1. Elisa Lowham: “Entrenched: A New Look at War Reporting” (Pinedale Middle School)
2. Haley Farrand: “Tet Offensive, Victory Denied” (Pinedale Middle School)
3. Jennifer Pape: “Galileo: A Great Scientist Defeated” (Pinedale Middle School)
1. Kayla Grove and Brooke Hocker: “The Triumph and Tragedy of Al Capone” (Pinedale Middle School)
2. Erin Trotta and Christina Silvey: “An Unlikely Savior” (Pinedale Middle School)
3. Haley Gray and Nikki Wadsworth: “Burned at the Stake: The Joan of Arc Story” (Pinedale Middle School)
1. Jenny Beiermann: “Turning Tragedy into Triumph: The Fight Against Poliomyelitis” (Big Piney Middle School)
2. Andrea Noble: “The Dionne Quintuplets: Unexpected Miracles, Tragic Fame, and Triumphant Endings” (Pinedale Middle School)
3. Shelby Brown: “His Soul is Marching On” (Big Piney Middle School)
1. Jordan Sims and Brent Jones: “Triumphs Outweighing Tragedies on Spur Ranch During its 125 Year History” (Big Piney Middle School)
2. Nicole Long and Zach Wenz: “Mamie Tarter: A Woman of Two Lives” (Big Piney Middle School)
3. Tomara Conrad and Talyn Costello: “Navajo Code Talkers” (Pinedale Middle School)
1. Baylee Colton: “Annie Richey: Not a Typical Cattle Kate” (Big Piney Middle School)
2. Lana Chamberlain: “The Triumphs and Tragedies of the USS Tang” (Star Valley Middle School)
3. Cindi Shenefelt: “Red Auerbach, The Coach of the First Dynasty: The Boston Celtics” (Pinedale Middle School)
1. Cody Bond and Shane Copeland: “Sheep and Cattle Wars: Triumph and Tragedy in the Green River Valley” (Big Piney Middle School)
2. Logan Barlow and Tazia Morgart: “Trains Bringing Children Home” (Big Piney Middle School)
3. Hadley Pape and Erin Egle: “Oskar Schindler: The Man Behind The List” (Pinedale Middle School)
Surveyor Scherbel’s Award: Logan Barlow and Tazia Morgart: “Trains Bringing the Children Home” (Big Piney Middle School)
Sublette County Artists Guild Award: Laney Johnston: “Seabiscut: The Long Shot Who Captured America’s Heart” (Pinedale Middle School)
Star Valley Historical Society Scholarship: “Kelsi Dean: Navajo Code Talkers; Speaking for Their Country” (Pinedale High School)
Sublette County Historical Society’s Award: Jamie Culwell and Loni Wells: “John Wesley Powell: A Journey Through the Unkown” (Pinedale Middle School)
Green River Valley Cattlemen’s Association: Cody Bond and Shane Copeland, “Sheep and Cattle Wars: Triumph and Tragedy in the Green River Valley” (Big Piney Middle School)
Green River Valley Museum Award: Alexandria Perry: “Dian Fossey; The Gorilla Guardian” (Pinedale Middle School)
Sublette County Historic Preservation Board Award: Maggie Hudlow; “Everest: Passion, Pride, and Pain” (Pinedale Middle School)
Dr. Dave Kathka’s Award: Lana Chamberlain, “The Triumphs and Tragedies of the USS Tang: Contributor to Victory in the Pacific” (Star Valley Middle School)
Special thanks to our volunteer judges:
Phil Washburn, DeeAnn Price, Sandra McLaughlin, Suzy Michnevich, Steve Rennells, Gary Kanski, Sam Drucker, Annie Espensheid, Tina Rock, Clint Gilchrist, Nancy Guio, Carmel Kail, Ray Clark, Sue Sommers, Patty Washburn, Dave Vlcek, Kenda Tanner, Paul Jensen, Kori Livingston, Helena Linn, DeAnn Bradley, Maxine Leckie, and Stella McKinstry.
Thanks also to Carrie Anderson and the Green River Valley Museum for all their assistance with the competition as well as everyone at the Big Piney Branch Library. And to Wendy Luckow and Paula Pharis of the Big Piney Middle School.
Story by Ann Noble. Photos by Dawn Ballou, Pinedale Online!